Tuesday, November 8, 2011

It's raining. It's snowing. The hubby and cat are snoring.

Okay, they aren't really snoring. But it is raining and here shortly it will be snowing. It'll be the second snow of the year, but I'm not sure if I count the first. Not even an inch accumulated and you could still see the fairly green grass. Today's snow should be worthy of being called the first winter snow. One to three inches of snow should be blanketing the ground around nightfall. Yay!

As long as my little house is warm, I love the winter. I love snow. I love ice--in the trees. Driving 50 miles a day back and forth to work, I hate ice on the roads. The problem with rural roads is that they don't always get sanded and they can get downright dangerous. Of course not having the luxury of being able to call in means that hubby and I get to brave the elements. Boo!

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day, so I hope the bad weather stays away for a little while longer. After not doing a proper grocery shopping trip in a month or so, my list is enormous. I don't think I've ever had a list this large. The problem is, I let myself run out of staples, most of my staples, and now I'm paying. Paying a lot. If I keep it under $300 I'll be happy. Under $200 and I'll be ecstatic.

Not having a lot in the house, we've been scraping the bottom of the figurative barrel. I was lucky enough to find goodies in the freezer--crock pot chicken and black beans with cream cheese-- and make something snacky for dinner. Per hubby's request.

(The links are in the title of the recipe.)
(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)
Baked mozzarella sticks
**adapted**
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups dry breadcrums
2 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
12 pieces mozzarella string cheese
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted

1. In a small bowl, beat eggs.
2. In a plastic bag combine Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and freshly ground pepper.
3. Coat string cheese in flour, then dip in egg and bread crumbs.
4. Chill for at least 4 hours.
5. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and drizzle with butter.
6. Bake uncovered in a 400F over for 6-8 minutes.
7. Let sit 3-5 minutes. Or as long as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment