Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Chicken burgers and homemade barbecue sauce. And why we won't go totally whole wheat.

Ground chicken is finally making its way to this part of the country. Thank goodness. I've been reading recipes that call for ground chicken for years now and I'm just now finding it in the store. We got two packages the last time we went shopping and I'm using the first package today to make barbecue chicken burgers. I've made chicken burgers one other time and we really enjoyed it.

The last time I posted I had two recipes involving whole wheat. We both like whole wheat anything, but not only whole wheat. We've decided that we like a little *gasp* white flour mixed in. Eating healthy will only go so far when you're not liking what you eat. And that's a big part of it, liking what you eat. If you're eating something healthy that's making you second guess why you're doing this in the first place, you're not going to continue. With a little medical help, I've lost three pounds in three weeks. It normally takes at least three months to lose that amount. I consider that a success.

If you can make it homemade it's automatically going to be better for you. I failed at whole wheat tortillas and whole wheat banana bread, but I'm going to try again. I've got plenty of bananas for more bread and I have everything necessary for tortillas. So, on my next day off I'm going to try tortillas again. Just not all whole wheat, but maybe one-fourth.
(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)
Homemade barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1 cup water
1 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons mustard powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar


1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and place in the refrigerator.
2. Use on your favorite barbecue recipe or in the chicken burgers below.


(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)
Barbecue chicken burgers
1 pound ground chicken breast
1/4 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup barbecue sauce

1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
2. Shape into four patties.
3. Fry in olive oil.
4. Serve on favorite buns with toppings of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment